The internet is a dynamic place, and the language people use online, especially on social media, requires its own dictionary to decipher.
Social media acronyms such as TTYL, TBH, OOO, and LMK are everywhere. Many of us have googled these acronyms more than once, but we would never admit it.
If you create content for social media or are in charge of managing social media accounts, you have to familiarize yourself with this new ‘language.’ There is no need to go overboard, but if your audience is using it, it would be smart to be able to throw some of these acronyms in the conversation once in a while.
More importantly, plenty of these acronyms are now making their way into marketing and sales material.
We dug around, and we have compiled a list of the essential acronyms to get you started.
Social Media Network Acronyms
All the social media networks have their own acronym. The most popular is probably FB for Facebook. Take a note of the rest:
- IG for Instagram
- FB for Facebook
- LI for LinkedIn
- YT for… you guessed it, YouTube
- TW for Twitter
Now let’s dive deeper.
Each network appears to have its group of common abbreviations.
Although the following are most commonly used on Twitter, they are often used on social platforms.
- DM stands for Direct Message. When people drop the DM abbreviation, they mean that they would like to have a private conversation.
- MT means Modifying a Tweet before sharing it.
- PM refers to Private Messaging, and it is interchangeable with DM.
- RT means Retweeting. It is commonly seen when companies ask their followers to RT a post to help raise awareness for a product or an event.
Now, let’s explore acronyms that are commonplace in the business world.
- B2C refers to companies that sell retail products or services to customers. It stands for Business to Customer
- B2B refers to companies that sell products or services to other businesses. It stands for Business to Business.
- CMGR refers to the community manager.
- CMS refers to a content management system, and these are tools writers use to edit and publish content.
Are you ready to get more technical?
These are essential terms in the marketing sector, and many writers have to know these abbreviations, especially if they are writing marketing material.
- CPM refers to the cost the company has to pay per 1000 impressions, and it stands for Cost per Mile.
- CPC means Cost Per Click. It is, you guessed it, the cost a company has to pay every time someone clicks on their ad.
- CR is the very popular and desired result that refers to the Conversion Rate. This is important to grasp, and it refers to the number of visitors divided by the visitors that have converted into clients.
- CTA means Call To Action. It refers to the content placed within an article or on buttons that prompt the user to take action. Common examples include “Buy Now,” “Learn More,” “Sign Up,” and any other tiny copy that a company uses to direct the user to take the next step.
- ROI is a popular abbreviation, and it stands for Return On Investment. It is calculated by measuring the money a company spent on a campaign to bring in the revenue from that campaign.
- SMP refers to all Social Media Platforms and SMO stands for Social Media Optimization, which is any activity that makes social media more useful for the company.
- TOS stands for Terms of Service that we find on all websites if we take time to look in the footer.
- UGC is a trend, and it refers to any User Generated Content, such as reviews, testimonials, customer stories, social media posts, and any other content generated by the customers.
As a marketing content writer, the following terms are essential to keep on your list:
- CX means Customer Experience.
- ESP refers to email service providers, such as Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, all the rest.
- GA is the very popular and necessary Google Analytics. Any marketer should be using Analytics to keep track of their KPIs.
What are KPIs?
- KPIs refer to Key Performance Indicators. These are indicators each company sets to measure growth and performance. Usually, these indicators can be monitored by Analytics, and include web traffic, conversion rate, bounce rate, returning visitors, and any other indicator that might be helpful to a company.
- PV refers to Page Views.
- SaaS is a popular term now. It refers to any Software as a Service—for example, Netflix, Salesforce, Amazon Web Services, etc.
- SEO means Search Engine Optimization, and most writers are familiar with this term. Clients often require their content to be SEO friendly, meaning they need the content to include a particular set of keywords that will help people find the company organically.
- UI means User Interface, which is the visual part of a software or an app that the client is using to navigate with.
- UV refers to Unique Page Views, which simply means the number of unique visitors who landed on a page.
Let’s explore some commonly used acronyms that are used in conversations.
- AMA means Ask Me Anything, and it is used by people who use social media to generate engagement.
- AFAIK means As Far As I Know.
- BRB is a popular oldie, and it means Be Right Back.
- BTW means By The Way
- FOMO means Fear Of Missing Out, and it is a common psychological technique used by companies to increase their sales. Such methods include limited offers, discounts, etc.
- FYI is a common one, and it stands for For Your Information.
- G2G means it is time to go; it stands for Got To Go.
- HBD should not be used as much as it is. It stands for Happy Birthday, and it is generally more polite to say “ Happy Birthday” and avoid HBD.
- IDK means I Don’t Know.
- IMO and it means In My Opinion.
- JK stands for Just Kidding.
- LOL is most likely the most used abbreviation, and it stands for Laughing Out Loud.
- OMW means On My Way
- SMH means Shaking My Head, and people use it to express disapproval.
- TBH means To Be Honest.
- TFW stands for The Feeling When… and it is used a lot on memes.
- TMI stands for Too Much Information and is used to stop someone from sharing too much or apologize for sharing too much.
- YOLO goes beyond the internet dictionary. It stands for You Only Live Once.
- WFH stands for Work From Home.
What are some of your favorite or most commonly used acronyms?
Comment below and let us know!